If you've visited this site in the last three days and wondered if I'd lost my mind, you wouldn't be too far from wrong. Ever since I "updated" my site, I've been struggling to get it to stay online.
It turns out that the problem I had with the theme disappearing isn't totally unknown in WordPress circles. Most blame it on problems with the server, but I found it strange that it had never occurred until I updated my site. To me that would indicated that perhaps it's not the server but something wrong in one of the many files that's causing it.
I tried to solve the problem by moving to a new theme, since the one Shelley designed was overwritten by the automatic upgrade. At first I assumed that it must be the theme I was trying that was the source of the problem. But a simple trial and error approach to the problem proved that assumption to be wrong.
So I tried to install a brand-new, fresh copy of WordPress. Unfortunately, I could not link it to my SQL database, so all the old entries would have disappeared. So I spent an hour or so trying to restore my old site using the RESTORE function of my Internet Provider. The little wheel spun and spun, until I finally went to bed and let it run overnight. When I got up in the morning, it was still spinning its little wheels and my site was still offline.
Finally, I reverted to my FTP program and uploaded my old site piece by piece until it finally returned to its buggy old self.
For now I'm going to try to just rename the theme I'm using DEFAULT. Hopefully that will keep it on line long enough that I can rewrite some of the CSS and make the site functional.
I have pictures and stories waiting to be uploaded, but I'd like to limit my time to making this site looked the best I can at the moment. I'll just call it SPRING CLEANING!!